Saturday, September 3, 2011

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout - Dogfish Brewery



The Imperial Stout. The image is of the darkest of the dark beers. This one one bold. The first that I had even heard of it was when a friend of mine was telling me of how it might as well be four beers packed into one bottle. At 18% ABV, it might as well be. Was I intimidated, not really. At the point that I'm at on my journey, I had grown to develop a certain faith in Dogfish, but at $7 a bottle, it's a commitment that is not to be taken lightly. Here's what the website had to say:

World Wide Stout

Availability:
Limited

YES! This is the beer you've heard so much about. Dark, rich, roasty and complex, World Wide Stout has more in common with a fine port than a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer. Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley. Have one with (or as!) dessert tonight!

Original Release Date:
12/1999

Glassware Recommendation:
Snifter

WEBSITE:

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/world-wide-stout.htm

REVIEW:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. This could very well be the best beer that I've ever had. I have no idea where to even start with this brew, so I guess that I had better start at the beginning. As soon as you crack the seal on this beast, you're hit in the face with the heaviest of most incredible aromas. It's deep with the unmistakable smell of pure alcohol. As I pour, I'm struck by the fact that it's so thick. I realize that Imperial Stouts are supposed to be thick and syrup-like, but man is this thick. You can smell the molasses and vanilla from across the counter. When I tasted it, there wasn't the typical dryness associated with Imperial Stouts, but rather a bounty of flavor that quickly coated my tongue. The taste...it was like getting smacked in the mouth with a bag full of marbles. Bitterness? Oh yeah, it was bitter, but at 70 IBU, what do you expect. In short, this is the one...the perfect 10. I'm not saying that it's the only perfect 10 that I will ever encounter, but it certainly is the first. Do yourself a favor and grab one, when your celebrating something special, like a 50th Birthday, a 20th Wedding Anniversary, the collapse of terrorism or the rebounding of our economy. This is by far the best Stout that I've ever had.

RATING:

10/10 - The best of the best...no question.

No comments:

Post a Comment